Tax Return Transcript
How to Request a Federal Tax Return Transcript
Students whose 2013-2014 FAFSAs are selected for verification (and parents of dependent students) can request a Tax Return Transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to satisfy the verification requirement for tax information provided on the FAFSA. There are three options for requesting a transcript from the IRS.
1) Online Request:
- Available on the IRS website at www.irs.gov.
- Under Tools on the homepage, click "Order a Return or Account Transcript".
- Click "Order a Transcript" (under #3).
- Enter the primary tax filer's social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Click "Continue".
- In the Type of Transcript field, select "Return Transcript," and in the Tax Year field, select "2012". Click "Continue".
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address on file with the IRS within 5 to 10 days from the time the online request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
2) Telephone Request:
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.
- Follow the prompts and enter the primary tax filer's social security number and the numbers in your street address.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, and then enter "2012".
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper Tax Return Transcript at the address on file with the IRS within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
3) Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf.
- Complete lines 1-4.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS - DO NOT LIST USC AIKEN AS A THIRD PARTY RECIPIENT. Tax Return Transcripts sent directly to USCA from the IRS will not be processed and will delay financial aid processing.
- On line 6, enter "2012" to receive IRS tax information for the 2012 tax year that is required for the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- A tax filer must sign and date the form and enter a telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address or FAX number provided on page 2 of the form.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing Form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.
PLEASE NOTE: We suggest that you make a copy of your transcript for your records before submitting it to the Office of Financial Aid.
Tax Filers Who File an Amended Federal Tax Return
A student or parent of a dependent student who files an amended federal tax return must submit a Tax Account Transcript and a copy of Form 1040X in addition to the Tax Return Transcript to the Office of Financial Aid to satisfy verification. The Tax Account Transcript can be requested from the IRS in the ways listed above by selecting "Account Transcript" when asked the type of transcript needed.